At The Bluffs Pet Clinic, our team is highly-skilled and trained in performing a variety of surgeries to improve your pet’s quality of life and health. We will be with your cherished animal before, during, and after surgery and will walk you through each phase of the process to make sure you feel safe and secure entrusting us with your pet.
We offer advanced surgical techniques and technology for dogs and cats. Board Certified Surgeons are available for more complicated soft tissue surgeries and orthopedic surgeries for your pet’s benefit. Our surgical services and facilities include:
- Laser Surgery The Bluffs Pet Clinic utilizes laser surgery whenever possible. Laser technology reduces the trauma to your pet, reduces pain, improves recovery time and can shorten your pet’s hospital stay.
- Laser energy seals nerve endings as it moves through tissue resulting in your pet feeling less pain post-operatively.
- The laser seals small blood vessels during surgery which allows the doctor to perform surgeries with less bleeding with extraordinary precision.
- Laser energy does not crush, tear or bruise because only a narrow beam of intense light contacts the tissue. The laser also seals small lymphatic vessels to further reduce post-operative swelling.
- Fully equipped surgical suite capable to perform every type of soft tissue surgery.
- A fully-trained veterinary and technical nursing staff to ensure the safest, most efficient state-of-the-art procedures for your pet
- ECG, oxygen saturation and blood pressure monitors
- Heated surgery tables for greater comfort and safety against hypothermia.
- Advanced sterilization techniques
Once the procedure is completed, a member of our nursing staff will call you with a status report.
We provide the same level of patient monitoring that you would receive if you were having surgery. We monitor all of your pet’s vital signs with state-of-the-art equipment as well as manual techniques. Pets are monitored during surgery using pulse oximetry, respiratory monitoring, EKG, temperature monitoring, blood pressure monitoring, and are given oxygen and also fluid therapy as indicated.
Your pet’s pain relief is our top priority. At The Bluffs Pet Clinic, we ensure your pet has minimal pain before, during and after their surgery. We utilize multiple therapies to control pain so that your pet is as comfortable as possible.
At The Bluffs Pet Clinic, we use the safest anesthetics available plus state-of-the-art monitoring equipment to further ensure the well-being of your pet during surgery.
Prior to receiving anesthesia, all patients receive a thorough physical exam and blood tests to make sure they are good anesthesia candidates. Patients are constantly monitored for heart rate, respiratory rate, oxygen saturation, blood pressure and body temperature. An intravenous catheter is placed in one of your pet’s legs to provide easy access for fluids and medication.
Anesthesia is customized to each individual animal’s need based on many variables including physical exam findings, pre-anethestic blood work, size and type of the animal and type of surgery required. Pain control is monitored before, during, and after all surgeries.
A multimodal anesthetic approach is developed for each patient. Sedatives are given to relax the pet prior to giving anesthetics to induce a safe plane of anesthesia. Gas anesthetic is then mixed with oxygen to maintain the anesthesia until the procedure is completed. Post-operative monitoring is very important, therefore, a veterinary technician is assigned to the safe recovery process for each individual pet. Most pets go home the same day of the procedure and “sleep off” the residual anesthetic agents overnight. Occasionally, some pets may be “hung over” for a day or two before they return to normal.
We will be alongside your pet every step of the way, nurturing your pet and making sure he or she is safe and comfortable. When you pick up your pet, the doctor or Technician will review the procedure with you and send you home with easy to understand aftercare instructions. We will call you within a few days to check on your pet and answer any additional questions.
Most Commonly Performed Surgeries at The Bluffs Pet Clinic:
- Emergency surgery (laceration repair, wound repair, foreign object removal)
- General soft tissue surgery (i.e., growth removal, Cystotomies)